Thursday, October 25, 2012

A Helping Hand

Helping someone out not only puts a smile on that person's face but should also put one on yours.  An act of kindness is one of the greatest gifts we can give someone and ourselves.  It will improve your mood, give you a sense of accomplishment and satisfaction, and ulitmately lead to a better society altogether.  As a part of the retail workforce for nearly 10 years now, I've seen and experienced the satisfaction that helpping someone else can accomplish. 

Back on August 28th I had a customer shopping around in the frame shop at the Michaels I work at.  She was carrying around a canvas and looking at ready made floor frames.  Being in customer service as long as I have a naturally have a tendency to say hello (and smile) to everyone I pass by.  So I approached this woman and said "hello."  She was extremely happy that I stopped by and as I began talking to her I could clearly see that she was in need of some help.  After about an hour I finally got everything the way she wanted it and she left the store with a perfect piece of artwork.  She was so greatful for all my help that she even hugged me on her way out. 

Her friendly gesture, made me remember that even a small gesture (like offering someone help, saying hello with a genuine smile or even showing gratitude) can have a major inpact on someones day.  My SM happened to catch the greatful hug and was very pleased with me once he found out the story behind it.  And as usual the story spread (as they often do) around the store and put all our employees in a more helpful and productive mood.  Who doesn't want everyone to know that they are doing great things!

Anyways, yesterday as I was leaving the store my CEM handed me the following note.

"This recognition is for Misty in framing.  Today is Tues. 8/28/12 and I came in to have a picture framed, with no idea of matting or colors.  She saw me persuing the frames and she approached me and helped me to choose.  My painting was framed, and I love it, with a double mat and she even did something extra as I requested.  I can't thank Misty enough for all her help.
Thank you,
Susan Estes"

As I read over the note I could clearly remember the customer and our expierence together.  She not only put me in a wonderful mood that day but she continued to do so yesterday when I read the note and again when I was informed that this note had helped get me chosen to be the employee of the month for September. 

So to Susan I must say thank you so much for all your kind words!

No comments:

Post a Comment